Tuesday 15 March 2016

Mid-Term Assessment overview for reference

My upcoming mid-term assessment shall be this Thursday, some reflective thoughts I have been asked to question I thought might be helpful to put here as an honest self-assessment. (Also it helps when you only have 15 minutes for when your mind inevitably always goes blank!)

 Professional behaviour

In terms of professional behaviour, apart from one occasion at the start of term I have been punctual, and week 5 was my absence, I have been punctual and where I need to be at the appropriate times. For rehearsal I try and get there 10 minutes early to ensure all the props and set are in place ready for cast, sometimes the cast do help which is kind. Clothing I usually stick to jeans and an appropriate jumper, I do have sturdy boots which I usually wear also, otherwise I haven’t worn heels, but have made an error once or twice of wearing a dress which whilst in meetings and rehearsal spaces it isn’t an issue, when working with the sets dresses got in the way! I think I have worked safely and ensured I  met the safety requirements when working with particular equipment, when moving set in and out of rehearsal spaces especially sometimes I have had to ask for help due to weights I cannot handle alone.

Efficiency

In my working method, the efficiency I have begun to regularly apply stands as arriving by 10am (this may not be as early as possible but it works with the free bus that is provided for students) this means I am available if extra help is required with the ASM’s otherwise that gives me time to do extra work on DSM work such as blocking the script. For the rehearsal at 1pm, I ensure I am there 10 minutes early to get in the props and set and ask for help if necessary rather than taking up valuable rehearsing time. Now that the meetings are sorted at consistently being at 4pm, I leave at 3:50 to ensure I am prompt and ready for the meeting to take notes and update with the rest of the crew. After the rehearsal I go straight through to the rehearsal space and clear up ensuring everything is as it was left (clean and tidy) and everything is back in its place for when people need to use it next. Over the weeks I have gotten into the habit of typing the rehearsal notes and minutes that evening to send out promptly, although late, to the crew. Admittedly in the last week this did not occur and I will make a conscious effort to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

I like to consider myself as working well in a team. I have tried to assist where possible for all the crew members, the stage manager and I particularly are good at ensuring we both have everything we need and help where possible. One example of assistance was in week 8, a group of us helped with Bradley Manning to build chairs efficiently so they were done sooner.  Admittedly communication is a problem which I am working on addressing as cast don’t know all the progress and I have been unable to answer questions on props, sound and costume, which I would like to start asking crew the night before if there are any updates the cast are likely to need to know. That will be addressed this week to ensure a smoother running forward looming closer to the performance date.  

Ownership over tasks

I consider myself as positive with the tasks I do, however the blocking of the script isn’t looking as good as it can do at this point therefore I shall remain behind or spend some extra time outside of Thursdays to ensure it is done to a better standard for cast and crew to understand my notes. I am proactive in many ways, but at times I have responded after a situation has occurred so that is something to address in the coming weeks. One moment I did consider myself as being proactive responding to a situation happened in week 8;

It was after rehearsals and I was cleaning up my rehearsal space, as we were in the mirror room I had to pass through the blue room to get to the workshop to put props and set away. At this time obviously rehearsal had finished, as my meeting finishes when all other groups are packing away anyway. upon walking through the blue room a couple of times from set and prop delivering back, I noticed all the cast leaving, the DSM had left early for reasons and the space was left from rehearsal, no one taking action to clean up. With the last props to put away, I spoke to the cast with their coats on all ready to leave and offered to put it away since no one else had. They were pleased at my offering and left moments after, I then cleared their space ensuring their props were tidily away in their shed for their next rehearsal instead of going missing. This, although inconvenient to my time as I had to get home, I did without complaining and put everything away.

In terms of creativity, the only way I feel this role can truly express creativity is in rehearsal ideas putting input into my overview of scenes etc, and the blocking of the script. A few times cast and the director have used and liked the ideas I put forward which has been reassuring. For the script blocking, I have started with imaginative effect ideas however this is something that I can address to perhaps be more so, and detailed.

Technical competency


I am not one to be using tech as such, but with the equipment I have encountered so far with helping in the workshop I feel I am safe and correct in my usage. Mostly It has been the drills I have been using when building the chairs in week 8 and whilst in a big group of people we ensured we were spaced out on flat surfaces building so as to not put anyone else in harms way. For the coming weeks where I may be operating the lighting, I feel I am competent and safe to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment